Frequently Asked Questions & Answers



1. Q
Do I have to go through a recruiting agent when applying for further/higher studies abroad?

No, it is not necessary to go through a recruiting agent when applying to an institution abroad. However, many students opt to do so. Students are advised to ensure that the recruiting agents they work with are licensed by the Ministry of Tertiary Education, Science, Research and Technology.

Back to Top

2. Q How do I know if a recruiting agent is genuine?

Students are advised to check the website of the Ministry of Tertiary Education, Science, Research and Technology to know whether the agent is licensed or not. A complete list of licensed recruiting agents along with a list of institutions they are authorized to work with is available at:

3. Q
How do I apply for higher studies in UK?

To apply to any university in UK, one has to fill in a UCAS application form. This form is available online at

Regarding private institutions and colleges, students apply directly to the institution or college concerned.

Students need to ensure that the institution or college is accredited and their qualifications are internationally recognised.

Back to Top

4. Q
What does UCAS stand for?

Universities and Colleges Admissions Service. It is the central organisation through which applications are processed for entry to higher education in the United Kingdom.

Back to Top

5. Q What are UCAS points?

UCAS has a tariff system (more commonly known as UCAS points), which allows qualifications to be converted into points. These points added together give a total that can be used as a requirement to get admission into a course. ( A = 120, B = 100, C =80,D=60 and E=40)

Full details can be obtained at .

Back to Top

6. Q
What is the procedure to apply for Canadian universities?

In most Canadian universities and colleges, the academic year is divided into two semesters, the fall semester (Sept-Dec), and the winter semester (Jan-May), with a short vacation at Christmas. Many colleges also offer a summer semester beginning in May.

University application deadlines for the September session vary from institution to institution, in general applications are processed from mid December to the end of March.

If you are applying to colleges and universities in the province of Ontario, you may apply through the OUAC (Ontario Universities’ Application Centre) –

Most Universities have their application forms in their websites and these can be completed online followed by submission of educational certificates after the HSC results.

Back to Top

7. Q
When should I apply for French universities?

In order to register in a higher education institution in France, students need to have very good French language skills. Undergraduate applicants have to take the “Test de connaissance du Francais” or French Compulsory Test which is usually conducted in February in Mauritius.

Application to French universities is made online after the HSC exams, usually around beginning December at Espace Campus France, Ambassade de France through the website:

Back to Top

8. Q
I want to go for higher studies in the United States of America, what should I do?

Each college and university in the United States of America has its own requirements for admission. It is important to carefully read information available on the school`s website or directions on the application form.

Universities in the United States of America require that you sit the following exams apart from the Higher School Certificate –

TOEFL - Test of English as a Foreign Language

SAT - a test of critical reading, mathematics, writing

SAT Subject Tests – tests measuring knowledge or skills in a particular subject or ability to apply that knowledge.

You apply directly to the universities of your choice. You may also contact the Educational Advising Centre of the American Embassy in Port-Louis for information and help.

Back to Top

9. Q
How many Universities are there in Mauritius and what is the duration of courses?

We have 2 universities falling under the Ministry of Tertiary Education, Science, Research and Technology in Mauritius – the University of Mauritius and the University of Technology.

The duration of courses is usually 3 – 4 years.

There are also a number of private institutions offering degree level courses. You may check the list at the Tertiary Education Commission.

Back to Top

10. Q
I want to know if my qualifications are recognised and what is their equivalence. What should I do?

You should contact the Tertiary Education Commission which is responsible for the recognition, accreditation and equivalence of post secondary, tertiary and professional qualifications. Students who wish to get their academic qualifications evaluated may do so by contacting the Tertiary Education Commission.

11. Q
Do degree holders from different countries have the same status when confronted to job interview?

Degree holders from any country have the same educational status when seeking a job provided the course they studied and the institution where they studied are recognised. However, employers also take into consideration other employability skills like communication, initiative, leadership etc when recruiting.

Back to Top

12. Q
What are the different fields of engineering?

Electrical and Electronic

Back to Top

13. Q
Where can I apply for further studies in Mauritius if I am interested in working in the Tourism Sector?

Ecole Hotelière Sir Gaetan Duval, Ebène, Reduit
The University of Mauritius
The University of Technology of Mauritius and

Some private institutions (please check the Mauritius Qualifications Authority list)

Back to Top

14. Q
What institutions are available in Mauritius for tertiary studies?

The University of Mauritius
The University of Technology of Mauritius
Institut Supérieur de Technologie
Swami Dayanand Institute of Management
Mauritius College of the Air
Mahatma Gandhi Institute (Tertiary)
Mauritius Institute of Education
Private institutions which offer post secondary level courses (Please check with the Mauritius Qualifications Authority (MQA) or the Tertiary Education Commission (TEC) if institution is recognized and ensure the course is also recognized and certificate will be awarded).

Back to Top

15. Q
Where can I apply for an educational loan?

The Mutual Aid Association

The Employees Welfare Fund (Education Loan Scheme)
The Ministry of Education and Human Resources – Scholarship Section
Private Banks
Insurance Companies

Back to Top

16. Q How am I going to choose my subjects for HSC?

You must take into consideration major factors such as your interest, aptitude, strengths and weaknesses in a particular discipline, your likes and dislikes and where you feel you can do well. The relevance of the subjects to particular courses of study at tertiary level should also be considered.

Back to Top

17. Q What subjects do I need to become an Air Hostess?

No specific subjects are required. You must have a good HSC with 2 “A” levels. Fluency in written and spoken English and French is important. One needs to be good at swimming and should have good eye sight.

Back to Top

18. Q
What factors should I take into consideration while choosing my subjects in Form III?

Interest in the subjects
Pass Mark in the subjects
How the subjects are related to future career

Back to Top

19. Q
Is English Literature and French Literature important for SC?

English Literature is important if you intend to take English as a main subject for Higher School Certificate.

French Literature is not essential if you want to take French as a main subject for HSC but it helps.

Back to Top

20. Q Can I drop Mathematics at Form IV?

Usually we do not advise anybody to drop Mathematics at Form IV level. Mathematics at least at SC level is a required subject for many jobs and training courses.

Those who have very good mathematical aptitude and want to take Mathematics as a main subject for HSC have to take Additional Mathematics on top of Mathematics. Mathematics as a main subject opens the door to many courses of Higher Studies.

Back to Top

21. Q Can I take Science as well as Art subjects?

A student can do Science as well as Art subjects at Form III level. At HSC level however, subjects must be taken in relation to further studies.

Back to Top

22. Q Can I choose my subjects in relation to the job market?

A student must first do subjects he/she likes and he/she is good at before looking at the job market which changes from time to time.

Back to Top

23.   Q
Is Information Technology still popular?

Opportunities exist in the IT Sector provided the person has the right profile to fit the job.

Back to Top

24. Q What is the entry requirement for a degree in Engineering?

Most universities want students to have Maths and Physics at A/Level. They usually ask for a third A/Level subject - preferably science or technology.

Back to Top

25. Q
I want to become an architect. Must I take physics?

Many specialized tertiary institutions require Maths and Physics but nowadays universities also prefer students to submit a portfolio when applying for such course.

Back to Top

26. Q
Must I do Chemistry, physics and Biology in order to study Medicine?

Universities in some countries (India, eastern European countries for example) require Chemistry, Physics and Biology at ‘A’ Level. Universities in other countries (U.K., Europe for instance) admit students with Physics, Maths and Chemistry at ‘A’ level to pursue studies in medicine.

As is required in Canada and the United States of America, some good universities are now admitting graduates to their medical course.

Back to Top

27. Q
Which qualifications do I need to work in a call centre?

Generally, you need to have a Higher School Certificate to work in a call centre. Apart from qualifications, applicants need to have certain qualities like fluency in languages (English/French), adaptability, flexibility, motivation.

Back to Top

28. Q
What subjects should I take to become a Policeman/Fireman?

No specific subjects are required. Usually applicants for these jobs should have at least SC and specific physical requirements, e.g. height 1m70; chest 84 cms; and weight 58 kgs.

Back to Top

29. Q
What subjects should I take if I want to study nursing in Mauritius?

It is advisable to have at least one science subject at A-level. Some institutions offering training in nursing may offer a crash course in science subjects to those who did not study science at secondary level.

Back to Top

30. Q Are there any specific subjects required to become a lawyer?

No specific subjects are required. The course to follow at university level is the LLB course (BA Honours). To be a lawyer one also needs to pass the Bar Examination.

Back to Top

31. Q
May I opt for ACCA course after my HSC even though I am choosing science subjects?

Yes, with Mathematics at A-level as a main subject you can study ACCA courses.

Back to Top

32. Q
Is it compulsory to take Computer Studies now to do further studies in Information Technology?

No, with Mathematics at A-level as a main subject you can have access to courses like networking, software engineering and MCSE (Microsoft Certified System Engineer) courses.

Back to Top

33. Q
What is the entry requirement for courses at university to become a Dietician/Nutritionist?

You need to have 3 A/Level subjects including Chemistry/Food & Nutrition.

Back to Top

34. Q
What course should I opt for after my HSC to become a chartered Accountant?

ACCA Level 1/2/3 or BSc Accounting or any degree from a recognised university.

Back to Top

35. Q
Which subjects do I need to take in order to compete for the State Scholarships?

Please check the specific combinations of subjects as laid out by the Mauritius Examinations Syndicate (MES).

Eligibility for State scholarships is available in the useful information section of this website.

Back to Top





Top of Page

Designed by CISD
Website queries to

copyright @Ministry of Education and Human Resources